Monday, December 26, 2005

Honey and Money!

Working at a lawfirm defintely means hectic weekdays ... but weekends are relaxed (!!) you have things to think about which you have shut your mind out from ... issues to resolve with various people .. which you had ignored since you had no time at wednesday 7 in the evening when you had to finish a document which had to go out that very moment ... but i figured out in six months that weekends are real short .. and since you want to make the most of it so it becomes shorter ... its utter chaos ...

On such a weekend when I was getting angry at nothing ... may be ... i should not say nothing ... I should spill the beans and say that I was quite angry at my state of affairs ... I disclosed to my mom that I was not happy (Now when I look back at the incedent I think that i said all that in my spree to get pampered) ... and that niether anything spiritual nor material makes me happy and that life is quite boring ... after her usual lecture of how today's generation cannot be happy with small things that life has to offer ... she was discussing with me the different things which could make one happy ... and as a mother of a 24 year old she very ably stressed on the fact that association with family (specially marriage) keeps a human being fulfilled and satisfied ... etc.etc. and etc. ... I as usual was on my ride to make her undertsand how marriage for a girl means a whole lot of compromises ... and that it affects career and blah blah ... so then she asked me if i have read 'The Alcheimist' (which to my utter disgust even while possessing it i had not read) ... so i said 'no' ... she then told me a story ... about a particular part of the book with her own additions deletions and alterations to suit the situation ofcourse! (in her own simple way ... in the way she as been unravelling the several complicated things to me thru my life ... making them simple, comprehendible and endorsable) ...

she told me ... once a common man had walked up to the king and commented that since the king had all the wealth of the world he must be the happiest person around ... the king to this did not answer but gave the man a spoon and some honey in the spoon and told him to go and have a look around the palace to find out what all wealth the king had and how happy he was only on one condition that, not a drop of honey should spill ... when the man was back from his sojourn, the king noticed that the spoon was still full of honey and then he asked if the man had seen how happy the king was ... the man retorted he couldnot see anything coz he was looking after the honey in the spoon ... then the king asked him if he was satisfied that he has not spilled any honey ... and the obvious answer was yes ... now that the man had not seen the wealth the king gave hiom another chnage with the honey in the spoon to look around ... this time the king said that the man need not bother about the honey in the spoon... so the man went around and saw all the wealth and came back .... the king asked whether he had seen all the wealth and how much of honey was there ... the man retorted that he had seen all the wealth but when he looked at the spoon to his surprise, he found that there was no honey ... the king then told the man that he would disclose now 'what is happiness' .. and he said when you see all the wealth adn yet have the honey in the spoon that is happiness ...

my mother was very happy to have put across me such a pertinent issue and she mistook my silence over the fone to think (what i guess) is that i was trying to internalise this eternal concept of happiness ... but soon in my mean self i retorted by saying ... 'but ma! dont u think in a human's quest of such happiness the society is happy in making the man to go around and see the wealth and the woman to go around with the man (while he sees all the wealth) looking after the honey in the spoon"!!

okie now she jolted and said ... no my dear world has changed and now the man looks at the wealth half way thru and honey half way thru and the woman looks at the honey half way thru and the wealth half way thru...

sometimes i wonder is it really so!!

No comments: